The History of an Institution
Tradition and modernity, perfectly combined
The ever changing history of our house stretches far into the past. On the area of today's Moorbad was formerly the Amtshof of the reign of the castle Schwanberg. In 1648, Dame Sophie Kempinsky bought the Amtshof from Hans Jakob Khöfler, which burnt down in 1681 with part of the market. The farm was not rebuilt and came after the death of Ms. Kempinksky 1685 in the possession of her heir Count Ferdinand von Falbenhaupt. In 1706, he donated the ruins of the fire, including the surrounding land, to the Capuchin Order.
In 1706, six monks from Niderndorf in Tyrol arrived in Schwanberg and began with the cleanup work. In the place of the fire, they built a residential building for the monks and a church. On July 8, 1714, the monastery church "to the Holy Guardian Angel" was consecrated and blessed by the Bishop of Lavant, Philip Carl Graf von Fürstenberg. The monastery church is a replica of the Capuchin church in Graz. The construction comprises a broad nave in east-west direction, to which a side and a Loreto chapel have been added. The interior consists of a high altar, two side altars and an altar in the side chapel. The high altarpiece depicts the coronation of Mary, surrounded by angels and saints. Vitus Hauckh also painted the picture of St. Valentine in the side chapel. The Loreto Chapel is characterized by a classical column structure.
In 1969, the Capuchin monastery in Schwanberg was abandoned due to lack of new orders. The monastery building and church were sold to the Moorbadgesellschaft to realize their vision of a mud bath here. After a total renovation, the "Moorbad im Kloster Schwanberg" opened in 1973 as a health resort. The existing hotel wing in the monastery had a total of 36 rooms.
Since then, however, a lot has changed:
In the years 2010 and 2011, a large-scale expansion and modernization took place. In 2018, further modernization of the age-old monastery building.
Today, the Heilmoorbad has 91 spacious and friendly rooms, two penthouses, a suite, a modern therapy area and a light-flooded panoramic indoor pool with sauna area.
Despite the necessary modernization, the company has retained the character of a family business around the owner families in the third generation.